The other day I finished reading, Be You & Live Civil by Karen Civil. It was a great read. Trust and believe I have a book review coming later for you guys.
Anyways, with the first week of the New Year up, I wanted to share something pretty cool that I read in Civil’s book. In the third chapter…
“Fill Up on Your Happy: Emotional Control and a Positive, Realistic Attitude”
Civil suggests that you create a blessing jar. I’m not sure if many of you know what this is but here is the general idea …
Throughout the year, you deliberately make note of blessings as they happen. At the end of the year, set aside time to read through each piece of paper and remember the blessings of the past year. Take time to thank God for each of them.
How To Start Your Blessing Jar
- Get a large jar or container. Preferable the jar is clear so you can watch it fill up throughout the year. Take some time to decorate the jar and personalize it.
- Place your blessing jar in a visible location and keep it there all year long.
- Place a pen and a paper pad next to the jar. Also consider carrying some in your brief case, book bag, purse, etc.
- As soon as possible after you experience a blessing, write it down. As soon as you are near your blessing jar, place the paper into the jar. Remember to date it.
- At the end of the year, set aside an hour or so to read through each blessing.
- Bonus Tip: On discouraging days throughout the year, read a few of your blessings and be encouraged. Be sure to put the blessings back in the jar for the end of the year.
I was such a fan of the idea, I made myself a jar, and purchased quite a few family members/friends Blessing Jars for Christmas 2015. I thought this was a really cool project, and I’m all about reflecting and growth, so I was all over it.
If you make one of your own, please feel free to share, I would love to see how yours looks =)
May mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance – Best wishes to you all.